Saturday, August 23, 2008

Gardening and marriage



Like children and pets, gardening is often a point of contention among married couples. Here is a typical conversation you might hear.
Me: So Uncle Tony, how are the tomatoes doing this year?
Uncle Tony: They were doing okay til we had that hot weather and then I hurt my back and couldn't water no more.
Me: But that's why you have Aunt Marie. I'm sure she was happy to water.
Uncle Tony: Don't get me started.
Me: So Dad, the two of you go out every morning and putter in the garden?
(Father points to our dear mother)
Father: Her... she grew up on a farm and won't even walk in the garden.
Our Dear Mother: Don't get me started.

So, slowly but surely, I'm getting more tomatoes and peppers. Even the basil is coming up. And the peppers will turn red around Labor Day and then go from hot to very hot in Scoville units

No comments: